The West Chicago Fire District is dedicated to providing compassionate and skillful service to all.
The West Chicago Fire District will focus on organizational trust, personal integrity and the responsibility to maintain professionalism and pride.
The West Chicago Fire Protection District was incorporated in 1896. Before the days of the huge ladder trucks and tenders, the bucket brigade system was used to fight fires. Men, women and even children would use 3-gallon leather buckets filled with water to try and extinguish the blaze. As the City’s infrastructure blossomed and water mains and hydrants were installed, so did the equipment within the Fire Protection District. Through the years, our fleet had many additions, such as The General (1934) and the White Fire Truck (1937). The District purchased two ambulances in 1972 in addition to offering an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) class and eventually started a paramedic program with the help of physicians from Copley Hospital.
The West Chicago Fire Protection District employs 36 sworn firefighter/paramedics, 12 contracted paramedics, 5 command staff, a fire marshal and an administrative support coordinator.
The West Chicago Fire Protection District proudly maintains a Public Protection Classification of 2 from the Insurance Services Office (ISO). To learn more about Public Protection Classifications and ISO click here.